Monday, April 6, 2009

Ken vs. the Computer - Round Two

After installing the new hard drive, the computer continued to show some erratic behavior. Score round one for the computer. At times the computer wouldn't recognize the new drive, other times it would, but would give error messages. Obviously, something else was going on. I tried new cables, and checked the voltage on the power supply. Nothing helped, so my conclusion was a <diagnosis 2> bad motherboard </diagnosis>. Various subsystems like video and drive controllers can go south, leaving the system unstable. This computer was five years old, after all. Replacing a motherboard seemed a bit daunting, but if I could rebuild a diesel engine, I could rebuild a computer. [Insert wife eye roll.]

For some reason, I figured that a HP motherboard with the same chipset and cpu would suffice in lieu of an exact match. For some odd reason, there seemed to be a lot of that vintage floating around Ebay. I found one that seemed to fit the bill for only $15 plus $10 shipping. I love a bargain! Tune in for round three. Ding, ding.

No comments: