- Originally discovered in 1819 by a German scientist who coined the term kaffeine.
- A natural pesticide that paralyzes and kill certain insects feeding on leaves of plants containing it.
- 90% of adults in North America consume it daily.
- Global consumption: 120K tonnes/year.
- Used by humans since the Stone Age (documented as far back as 3000 BC).
- Median lethal dose (kills half) is roughly 80 - 100 cups of coffee in short order.
- One of the 10 drugs most commonly given in neonatal intensive care (to treat apnoea).
"Yes," was the reply.
"There you go," was all grandma said. End of discussion.