Saturday, December 19, 2009

Typing Speed

How fast can you type, and how did you learn?



For some reason, when I was in high school I decided learning to type would be beneficial. I don't think many guys took the class. I remember getting up to 60 wpm. It has served me well. I'm wondering how students learn now that the IBM Selectrics are endangered machines.

You can test you mad skills online here. I can still manage 55 wpm.

Here are some interesting facts:

  • The QWERTY keyboard was designed in 1878
  • One of the worlds fastest typists, Barbara Blackburn, was from Salem, Oregon, and uses an alternative keyboard design named Dvorak to reach speeds greater than 200 wpm.

1 comment:

Eldon and Janeil Olsen said...

I took the test for 1 minutes and got 64 wpm. I learned in high school by taking typing classes. It has come in handy in many respects. I sure like spell check as opposed to white out and typing over.