Tuesday, September 9, 2008

End of the World and Pink Elephants

I'd hate the world to end before blogging about it, so I'm posting a day early.

The Large Hadron Collider is scheduled to fire up Wednesday, and may create a mini-black hole which would then swallow the earth. Man, wouldn't that be cool to watch! According to Fermilab theorist Joe Lykken, with about the same probability, it could also create a pink elephant!
http://www.northjersey.com/news/nation/27983514.html

Here is a entertaining and informative LHC rap song that doesn't mention pink elephants:

Kurt Vonnegut knew how the universe really ends. It is blown up by the Tralfamadorian's experimenting with new fuels for their spaceships. A test pilot presses a starter button, and the whole universe disappears (from Slaughterhouse-Five). I don't think Kurt ever wrote about pink elephants.

Do I think it the world will end? No. If it does? I think we probably deserved it. “Everything Was Beautiful, and Nothing Hurt.”

P.S. Dibs on any pink elephants created tomorrow.

3 comments:

Imagitext said...

You had better not be joking or I will be very sad.

brenda said...

The song reminds me of Blondie's "Rapture."

Berkeley has it on good authority that the actual date is 2012. Gives us a little more time to gather grenades and such.

Neil said...

that's the first rap I've enjoyed in a long time. I learned yesterday that the world is made up mainly of only 2 of the 6 known quarks, and that a proton is made up of 2 ups and a down, whereas a neutron is 1 up and 2 downs.